[Aust-NZ] Local Chapter report

Cameron Shorter cameron.shorter at gmail.com
Thu Sep 11 14:37:40 PDT 2008

Yes, and simplifying Rob's comments to a sound byte:

NCRIS, with a $10 million budget behind it, is employing CSIRO to build
a ROBUST spatial data infrastructure with broad take up.

And one of the key ways to achieve the wide adoption goals of NCRIS is
to reduce the financial barrier of entry for participating organisations
by sponsoring Open Source tools. In particular, NCRIS has been
sponsoring Geoserver, Geotools, and is about to target Geonetwork.

LISAsoft and TOPP have been involved in the program by building an Open
Source conformance and robustness framework which we have called Duckhawk.

----

Autodesk and LISAsoft put together an GeoFOSS workshop and OSGeo stand
at the Qld Spacial Science Institute conference, Aug 08 on the Gold Coast.
Of note: SSI helped out by giving us the booth for free as their
contribution and endorsement to OSGeo.