[OSGeo Oceania] A discussion on openness

Violaine violaine at posteo.net
Mon Dec 7 16:45:59 PST 2020

Hi all,

Thanks for opening up this discussion, I think it is a super healthy way
of solving issue for the community and by the community. I do think it's
extremely important to build strong bases and if there already are some
issues, it should be solved... So THANK YOU

First big clap for creating the board mailing list, and sharing meeting
notes  and more stuff on the wiki, a great start also for openness. I
was missing it ^^ I also agree with Phil, that you guys at the board
should not be that hard to yourselves, this community is at its start,
there are some processes to write down, and this takes time... From as
far as I am, I don't see an issue with no solutions...

 From what I see so far from afar ... one great thing would be to ensure
a safe/welcoming space for people to express themselves, which joins
what Adam said.. I don't know if this possible, as I have never seen
that before, but would it be a good thing to have a charter that each
director should sign, and engage to do its best to respect it and make
respect it? For example I would love to see in this chart, that no one
in discussions can use x years of experience, or  a resume to enforce
its arguments. Anyone regardless its experience, origine, age, degree
etc should have the same voice. It's about humility, against
paternalism.. I felt there is this kind of issue, in open mailing list,
so it would be great if we could reduce it. I took part into the french
OSM community (an association), and when some people were to harsh on
mailing list (which closed the door to inclusivity), the board (one
person from it), could come privately to this person and remind some
good practice for keeping the discussion constructive...

Also, I know that some opendata communities had issues at a time because
when they engaged they had some confidentiality clauses. For example,
messages shared in private channels (out of mailing lists) were
confidentials... It think it would be heathier that all but sensitive
ones (personal informations) would be sharable in further discussions in
mailing lists.

I also really like that when there is an issue it can be discussed here;
board of directors supports the community, if there is no consensus, it
feels natural to me to open the discussion to the community, so again
thanks Ed.

And one last thing is about the money, I know that french OSM community
only accepted money/funds for running the servers, and promoting OSM
community (annuel SOTM event, and presence on events). This avoids
conflicts of interests. This ensure openess. It of course lower the
amount of money they had and their capacity to do things on OSM but on
the long run, it ensured the french OSM associations supports the OSM
community. Now french OSM community is super diverse and has a lot of
entrepreners doing great things ... Saying that as an example, not a
solution ;) I didn't get into the money/funds discussions, a matter of
time, please excuse this if you already talked about it!

This is my thoughts, hope this helps,

Violaine

PS : my 2 cents on communication channels : I do prefer emails, because
I am never on slack (only if I am pinged actually) and I can take time
to read and answer as I am not a native english speaker. SO yes to
mailing lists!

PPS: not beeing a native english speaker, I hope my words were well
chosen, if not please excuse me, wasn't on purpose!