[OSGeo Oceania] Budget for FY 2021/2022

John Bryant johnwbryant at gmail.com
Thu Mar 25 21:56:46 PDT 2021

Thanks for the opportunity to contribute to budget planning. I have a few
comments/questions.

*1. Conference*

The proposed budget includes an AUD $5000 loss for the conference, which
doesn't align with past experience. Even last year, when plans were
derailed mid-year and we had to create a new plan on the fly, we still
turned a small profit overall [1], despite minimal focus on sponsorship.

FOSS4G 2021 (global) will be fully online, and they're running a relatively
successful sponsorship drive. If we are running another hybrid conference,
it feels like there's potential to find sponsorship. Last year's event was
the largest in-person event we've ever organised, in terms of overall
attendance, and with that experience behind us, I think there's a
significant value proposition for sponsors. Since conference revenue has
been the predominant source of income for OO, I feel this is a sensible
place to focus. The assumption there won't be any significant income feels
like a self-fulfilling prophecy.

*2. Good Mojo*

A question about Good Mojo expenditure: why reduce it to zero? I guess
there's still ~$8k in the Good Mojo fund since the 2020-2021 budget has 0
under actual. I suggest this should be used, the people and orgs that
contributed to it in 2018 and 2019 would probably like to see their
contributions put to use. If there is an in-person event then maybe
reviving the Travel Grant Program would make sense. Hubs could be enabled
to have a local impact using these funds.

*3. Microgrants*

Last, re: Microgrants, I feel $2k won't be enough. There has been a lot of
interest in the first few weeks of the program. $2k will only fund ~8
grants over the whole year. I suspect we could increase this to $6k, which
would average 2 grants per month.

Cheers
John

[1]