[OpenDroneMap-users] question about resolution and camera orientation

Stephen Mather stephen at smathermather.com
Tue Feb 24 19:23:14 PST 2015

Hi Anna,

Yes "--resize-to" will typically help get you a denser point cloud. I have
found --resize-to 3000 to be a useful default, though the project currently
defaults to 2400 to avoid swamping people's machines.

There's a lot to be done on the documentation side. Also, while the meshing
and texturing portions of the codebase are novel, some other portions
(Bundler, CMVS, PMVS) are projects onto themselves, so it will take a bit
of exploration to figure out optimal parameters. As we (as a community)
discover those optimal parameters, we can improve the sane defaults, and
document good alternatives.

(That said, there is plenty of documentation to be written that I or others
already know, so that is a priority)

As to XYZ, yaw, pitch, and roll, OpenDroneMap does not yet take that into
account. I would be excited to see this, perhaps even using SFCGAL or other
3D library for doing proper image footprints a la:

https://smathermather.wordpress.com/2013/12/15/uas-drone-footprint-geometries-calculated-in-postgis-with-sfcgal-for-real-this-time/

This would substantially reduce the processing time on the "match" step,
which is a decent proportion of the current processing time.

Also, I haven't written any documentation on it yet, but in the bundle.out
file in reconstruction-with-image-size-2400 can be loaded in Meshlab to
check camera positions and determine sanity of camera positions. There's a
youtube video on that somewhere that I'll dig up.

Cheers!
Best,
Steve