[OpenDroneMap-users] question about resolution and camera orientation

Anna Petrášová kratochanna at gmail.com
Tue Feb 24 19:58:57 PST 2015

On Tue, Feb 24, 2015 at 10:23 PM, Stephen Mather <stephen at smathermather.com>
wrote:

> Hi Anna,
>
> Yes "--resize-to" will typically help get you a denser point cloud. I
> have found --resize-to 3000 to be a useful default, though the project
> currently defaults to 2400 to avoid swamping people's machines.

I am currently experimenting with larger images but it takes too long. Just
the matching takes forever. I wonder why the matching is not running in
parallel, if it's not implemented yet, it can't be implemented easily or it
gets confused since I am running it in virtual box?

> There's a lot to be done on the documentation side. Also, while the
> meshing and texturing portions of the codebase are novel, some other
> portions (Bundler, CMVS, PMVS) are projects onto themselves, so it will
> take a bit of exploration to figure out optimal parameters. As we (as a
> community) discover those optimal parameters, we can improve the sane
> defaults, and document good alternatives.

I was looking for some better documentation for these projects, but I
didn't find anything helpful. I wish I would know more about the actual
algorithms, but that's not my background.

> (That said, there is plenty of documentation to be written that I or
> others already know, so that is a priority)
>
> As to XYZ, yaw, pitch, and roll, OpenDroneMap does not yet take that into
> account. I would be excited to see this, perhaps even using SFCGAL or other
> 3D library for doing proper image footprints a la:
>

> https://smathermather.wordpress.com/2013/12/15/uas-drone-footprint-geometries-calculated-in-postgis-with-sfcgal-for-real-this-time/

Great blog!

> This would substantially reduce the processing time on the "match" step,
> which is a decent proportion of the current processing time.
>
> Also, I haven't written any documentation on it yet, but in the bundle.out
> file in reconstruction-with-image-size-2400 can be loaded in Meshlab to
> check camera positions and determine sanity of camera positions. There's a
> youtube video on that somewhere that I'll dig up.

Right, I noticed that.

Best,

Anna