[OpenLayers-Dev] WMS server manager

Lance Dyas lancelot at inetnebr.com
Fri Apr 27 09:50:24 EDT 2007

Lorenzo Becchi wrote:
> Hi,
> I've reachead my very minimum target and I would like to debate the
> result with who's interested:
> http://www.ominiverdi.org/openlayers/examples/wms_manager.html
>
> I've blocked the list of server for better usability but we can think to
> have a free field too.

There are some extensive retrievable server lists in XML that could be
quite useable
one currently at refractions and microimages is developing a similar
one, there is no "simple" standard
for this though so it is a bit of a hack... WCS support would be even nicer
but...
> as far as I've played with it, some questions arise:
>
> 1) how to shift up and down a layer in the legend?

changing the maps layer list order...
> 2) how to change opacity for a single layer on the fly?
> 3) how to drop a layer?
> 4) how to deal with different layer projections and extents
some wms will reproject whatever they have in to what you need
if you know an extent box for it, but it is definitely not something
you can rely on.

> 5) how to deal with transparent layers (png) and overlays?

For servers which have gifs I have found that they usually handle them
better than pngs other wise use pngs for overlays

More later