[OpenLayers-Dev] WMC on WMSManager

Lorenzo Becchi lorenzo at ominiverdi.com
Mon Jul 30 09:49:29 EDT 2007

Nothing to be proud of but I've published a first step to support Web
Map Context inside OpenLayers:

http://tinyurl.com/2b6z6r

Click on the bottom-right button "WMC Exporter" to see a pop-up with the
JSON code of the WMC.
Naturally you can alter the map with WMSManager and the WMC "should" be
updated.

as you can see:
- the structure is not a perfect WMC. I've took a look from the 1.1
specs but there are things to be cleaned up.
- some values are empty or null. Still have to decide if it make sense
to use all of them. We can decide together which optional elements not
to support.
- I've added a "visibility" attribute to Layer object because WMC is not
providing it. Some hint how to avoid this? I'm sure you understand how
this is important for OL to define base or overlay layers.

as you can't see:
- not all values are dinamically set. Some are still hardcoded.

there's another problem about attributes of Layers with multiple WMS
layers inside. Which title, abstract to use? does it make sense to
create a comma (or something else) separated list of values?

I'm still not sure if the MapContext should be part of the OL.Map object
or an external Tool.
I'll go on with the external tool and hope to create soon a WMCParser to
import WMCs.

My hope was to offer something better before leaving for holidays but
many meeting/debate/ecc at work delayed coding time.
I'll leave in 2 days and be back for the third week of August. In the
meantime I'll be available for debate about this solution.

ciao
Lorenzo