[OpenLayers-Dev] WMC on WMSManager

Tim Schaub tschaub at openplans.org
Mon Jul 30 16:57:02 EDT 2007

Hey Lorenzo-

Lorenzo Becchi wrote:
> Nothing to be proud of but I've published a first step to support Web
> Map Context inside OpenLayers:
>
> http://tinyurl.com/2b6z6r

Looks like you've been busy.

A few ideas:

It would be good to start working towards a JavaScript structure for the
map context.  For OL, this structure would contain all relevant layer
information and the current map center/resolution.  On the WMC side, we
should discuss how to standardize the extensions to WMC to account for
OL specific stuff.

This structure should be serialized/deserialized with a JSON parser.
http://dev.openlayers.org/sandbox/tschaub/geojson/lib/OpenLayers/Format/JSON.js
(for example - and you can do format.write(obj, pretty) too)

In addition to translating this structure into a WMC doc, we should be
able to translate it into a short string - though this will be lossy, it
can be used to replace the permalink logic.

All this could be handled by a control like OpenLayers.Control.Context
or OpenLayers.Control.ApplicationState.  This control would use the JSON
format and a (yet to be built) WMC format.

I'll be working on this sort of stuff over the next couple months.  I
look forward to collaborating.

Tim