[OpenLayers-Dev] final animated zooming and panning patches

Emanuel Schütze emanuel at intevation.de
Thu Mar 29 09:49:02 EDT 2007

Hi Paul,

I'm not exactly sure what do you mean.
If you start the demo; zoom f.e. to level 5 and you drag now the slider to
level 0 you get a new zoomOut tile which show you new informations arround
the last viewport of level 5. This zoomOut tile is 4 times greater than a
standard tile and it contains the max extent. So it comes to some alleged
strange situations if you zoom out from a high level. After mouseUp the
zoomOut tile stay pixelated until the new tiles are loaded. This is a normal
zoom out process. Sure, we could improve it but therefor you have to load
more zoomOut tiles which scales in higher levels - and this could be evoke
new performance problems.

To improve your own performance try to make your map smaller. My demo has a
map with 100% width; dependent on your screen resolution there are many tiles
which have to scale. Perhaps there is the bad performance effect if the tile
size over 32768px like in IE? Which browser and hardware do you use? I can't
reproduce these effects on my machines. Try the controls example [1]. It
should works faster.

Regards,
Emanuel

[1]http://dev.openlayers.org/sandbox/emanuel/animatedZooming/examples/controls.html