[OpenLayers-Dev] final animated zooming and panning patches

Paul Spencer pspencer at dmsolutions.ca
Thu Mar 29 14:11:06 EDT 2007

Sorry, I'll try to explain more ...  Now using the controls
example ... I'm only using the mouse wheel to zoom one step at a
time.  By the 3rd step, it is slowing down and by the fifth it causes
100% processor usage for several seconds to complete the one step zoom.

Browser is Safari, hardware is a powerbook g4.

In Firefox, it is much better and rarely shows the really blurry
tiles (or briefly enough that I can't get a screencapture of it anyway).

Digging a bit deeper ...

initial load: 4 tiles
zoom 1: 10 tiles
zoom 2: 30 tiles
zoom 3: 44 tiles
zoom 4: 50 tiles
zoom 5: 51 tiles
zoom 6: 60 tiles

Each zoom was a single step zooming in using the mouse wheel.
Initially I thought it was keeping all the tiles from a previous zoom
level but it actually seems pretty random to me.  Some of the images
are definitely from other scales though and I think the blurry image
is a symptom of those images being left in the dom tree and being
scaled way beyond what they should be.  I haven't looked in the code,
but I expect it is a leak of some sort that leaves these tiles in the
dom after a smooth zoom.  This theory also explains why performance
tails off quickly as I zoom ... more and more images to resize over
time.

Cheers

Paul