[OpenLayers-Dev] MapFish

Cameron Shorter cameron.shorter at gmail.com
Tue Oct 30 18:20:27 EDT 2007

Re Open Specs:
Assuming specifications are of similar complexity to alternatives, a
developer should pick specs as they offer an element of future proofing
to an application. Unfortunately some of the OGC specs don't fall into
the "similar complexity" category, as evidenced by the level of uptake
things like the WFS spec.
Encouragingly the OGC has shown signs of recognizing this with their
recent "Mass Market" focus. So you are likely to find OGC receptive to
suggestions to simple specs, as evidenced by OGC move toward Simple GML
and GeoRSS.

If you are looking into routing, I suggest you start by looking at the
OGC's OpenLS spec. I am not familiar enough with it to make a call on
whether a simpler protocol would be more appropriate.

--
Cameron Shorter
Geospatial Systems Architect

Think Globally, Fix Locally
Commercial Support for Geospatial Open Source Software