[OpenLayers-Dev] vector behavior

Christopher Schmidt crschmidt at metacarta.com
Mon Apr 14 22:02:13 EDT 2008

On Mon, Apr 14, 2008 at 05:46:47PM -0600, Tim Schaub wrote:
> Hey-
>
> Some may have already seen the proposal for new vector layer behavior.
> http://trac.openlayers.org/wiki/Proposal/VectorBehavior
>
> This week, I'll be working on implementing a bit of this new design.
> I'm focussed on an AtomPub protocol, an Atom format, and a somewhat
> smartish BBOX strategy.

Thanks for the email letting us know what's up.

Out of curiosity: some Protocols seem likely to be 'trapped' within a
single Format. I'm assuming that you don't see any problem with that, so
long as it is sufficiently documented. I'm asking only because the
majority of protocols seem to clearly be in a position where they'll be
able to cope with many formats -- WFS read support, AtomPub support,
etc. -- while a minority -- ESRI-REST, WFS-T/write, etc. -- are tied to
a specific Format. Does this make sense? Is a format-specific protocol
still a protocol? (I think yes.)

> I've started putting stuff up in an "almanac" sandbox.  The one example
> that shows it wired together is not that impressive - but it represents
> a new design for giving vector layers behavior.
>
> http://dev.openlayers.org/sandbox/topp/almanac/examples/vector2.html
>
> I appreciate any ideas on the work.  I've got a deadline to get this
> working by next Monday - so it will be hasty work for a while.
>
> http://trac.openlayers.org/log/sandbox/topp/almanac/

I'm assuming that in the meantime you'd primarily like committing to be
held to topp people without prior discussion: I'm hacking a bit in SVK,
and when you guys pass your deadline, I hope to have some code
(unrelated to your current work) to toss back in the sandbox, so looking
forward to helping from afar in the meantime.