[OpenLayers-Dev] Map services supported by OpenLayers

Christopher Schmidt crschmidt at metacarta.com
Sun Dec 7 14:50:09 EST 2008

On Sun, Dec 07, 2008 at 07:09:12PM +0000, Abdul Rauf wrote:
> Thanks for your reply. I've been through these layers but not all of them
> are map services and some support vector graphic data.Would you please help
> me to figure out the exact map services out of this list of layers and any
> other if you know

What do you mean by "Map Services"? I would genrally consider WFS a "Map
Service", but it is designed for transporting vector data.

>From the slides I used at FOSS4G Japan:

Raster, Standards Based: WMS, TMS, WorldWind
Raster, Proprietary: Google, Yahoo, Microsoft, MultiMap
Raster, Other: MapServer, KaMap, TileCache, Image, MapGuide
Vector: Markers, SVG/VML/Canvas based Vectors
Vector Formats: GML, GeoRSS, GPX, OSM, GeoJSON, KML, WKT

(Slide 11 in http://openlayers.org/presentations/foss4g-jp/)