[OpenLayers-Dev] WFS-T support for GetCapabilities and DescribeFeatureType

Kristian Thy thy at 42.dk
Mon Jun 30 05:49:59 EDT 2008

Hi list

We are working on integrating an OpenLayers client with a WFS-T service
running on GeoServer. We have run into issues concerning the typeName
attribute of the wfs:Transaction node. It seems to be hardcoded to use
"feature". Before delving into fixing this, we thought: Why is OL not
using the GetCapabilities and DescribeFeatureType requests on the WFS
layer to read stuff like type name or attributes (to use in
updating/inserting features)?

Would the load on the browser increase markedly by parsing these
documents for metadata discovery?

Finally, I seem to recall talk of TOPP or someone else working on
improving WFS-T support in OL. Does anybody know of concerted efforts
being made in this area; we are averse to reinventing the wheel, so
would of course like to talk to anybody working on the same issues.

\\kristian
--
... et nemo ex vobis interrogat me: »Quo vadis?«