[OpenLayers-Dev] Spending Sponsorship Money

Tim Schaub tschaub at opengeo.org
Tue Nov 4 18:18:51 EST 2008

Plus, as discussed previously, I think the topic of "spending
sponsorship money" is one that we should task ourselves with (as a PSC)
when we actually get some money.

If we want to vote on a list of potential uses for money (in the hopes
that this list will loose the purse strings of potential sponsors), I
would vote for an order something like this:

1) code sprints
2) documentation
3) maintainer/marketing stuff

I don't have a preference on the order of the maintainer position and
marketing stuff.  I would just prefer to see code and doc development
placed above t-shirts.

Tim

Again - I think shirts are cool.  And if we could make some money
selling shirts, I think that would be great.  I just don't think
spending money on shirts is the best use of limited (or hypothetical)
resources.

Erik Uzureau wrote:
> ...well, I think that all this was just about enough to kill any
> momentum we may have had going there
> with this sponsorship idea. As usual, too many conflicting ideas and too
> little resources (resources!)
> to implement them with. Just another day in freesoftwarelandia.:-)
>
> Seems to me like the best thing we can salvage from this is maybe a
> reform of the PSC? I'll send a new thread.

> On Mon, Oct 27, 2008 at 5:44 PM, Tim Schaub <tschaub at opengeo.org
> <mailto:tschaub at opengeo.org>> wrote:
>
>     Hey-
>
>     John R. Frank wrote:
>      >> I do want to speak up on behalf of t-shirts though!
>      >
>      >> don't be too hesitant to spend a bit of money on the team!
>      >
>      >
>      > I completely agree.  T-shirts are a powerful tool in achieving
>     many of the
>      > project's goals.  I hope to see the PSC agreeing on a list of
>     those goals
>      > on our way to the t-shirt store.
>      >

>     Can we have a separate thread on t-shirts (and mugs, hoodies, knit caps,
>     etc)?
>
>     I don't disagree that t-shirts are neat.  And I think putting a link on
>     our site to buy a t-shirt through some service that kicks back some of
>     the money to the project is a good idea.  But I would be pretty
>     disappointed if we *spent* (sponsorship) money on making things like
>     t-shirts.
>
>     http://tinyurl.com/5vsx49
>
>      >
>      > jrf
>      > Dev mailing list
>      > Dev at openlayers.org <mailto:Dev at openlayers.org>
>

>     --
>     Tim Schaub
>     OpenGeo - http://opengeo.org
>     Expert service straight from the developers.

Tim Schaub
OpenGeo - http://opengeo.org