[OpenLayers-Dev] help with unregistring Layer.Text "markerClick" event

Paul Spencer pspencer at dmsolutions.ca
Thu Apr 23 13:09:30 EDT 2009

Not sure what the status of Text layer is, but the latest version of
OpenLayers (2.8) includes shiny new support for labels in vector
layers which I have recently been playing with.

var vectorLayer = new OpenLayers.Layer.Vector('Vectors');
vectorLayer.events.register(featureselected, null, featureSelected);
map.addLayer(vectorLayer);
map.addControl(new OpenLayers.Control.SelectFeature());

/* create a vector feature with a point geometry at the appropriate
geographic
  * location and set its style to include a label property with the
text you want
  * to display on the map
  */
var feature = new OpenLayers.Feature.Vector(
     new OpenLayers.Geometry.Point(lon, lat),
     null,
     {label: text}
);

vectorLayer.addFeatures(feature);

function featureSelected(feature) {
   //handle the feature being selected
}

You can also label other types of vector features (lines, polygons
etc) and you can play with the style to add a marker image
(externalGraphic) and other fancy things.

Cheers

Paul