[OpenLayers-Dev] ArcXML support

stegch at web.de stegch at web.de
Tue Apr 28 05:28:30 EDT 2009

Hello David Zwarg,
it would be great, if the functionality of the renderers could be
expanded.
If it is a bug, the missing declaration for "symbol[key]" in line 560
in ArcXML.js should be added soon.

Moreover I don't understand these lines in ArcXML.js (lines 683-688):
for (var i=0, len=keys.length; i<len; i++) {
 var key = keys[i];
 if (symbol[key]) {
 selem.setAttribute(key, renderer[key]);
 }
}

"selem.setAttribute(key, symbol[key]);" makes more sense, doesn't it?

Generally I would be interested in full ArcXML support for all
further types of renderers (valueMapLabel, simpleLabel and valueMap).
What do you think, would it be possible to write all symbols and
attributes in arrays as you did with "fontStyleKeys" (line 27-30)?
Otherwise you always check the type of each attribute, but ArcIMS
makes no difference and you can only use attributes you have
mentioned in your code, for example:
if (typeof exact.symbol.width == "number") {
 selem.setAttribute("width", exact.symbol.width);
}
I don't see any problem, if you allow the usage of every attribute
for every symbol, because you have to know ArcXML anyway if you work
with ArcIMS - you have to know which symbols or attributes can be
combined.
Unfortunately I'm not familiar with OpenLayers, so can you tell me
how I can contribute to OpenLayers?

Thank you for your help.
Best regards,
Christian Steger