[OpenLayers-Dev] IE cluster/protocol error - 'status' is null or not an object

Andreas Hocevar ahocevar at opengeo.org
Fri Jan 9 19:12:28 EST 2009

On Fri, Jan 9, 2009 at 7:22 PM, Tim Schaub <tschaub at opengeo.org> wrote:
> Hey-
>
> Andreas Hocevar wrote:
>> Ivan Grcic wrote:
>>> I made some comment to http://trac.openlayers.org/ticket/1896
>>>
>>> But strangly I cant reproduce it anymore on
>>> http://openlayers.org/dev/examples/strategy-cluster.html  ? Andreas?
>>>

>> I still can reproduce it. Another comment and patch that fixes the issue
>> (based on Ivan's proposed fix) in
>>
>> http://trac.openlayers.org/ticket/1896#comment:2
>>

> It would be good to confirm once again that the problem still exists
> (funny that Ivan can't reproduce it).

I can reproduce it on different (virtual) machines with IE6 as well as
IE7 in default configuration. Maybe Ivan has changed IE's cache
settings?

> Andreas, your description makes some sense - though it is pretty
> maddening that onreadystatechange would be called twice with readyState 4.

I know. But I remember from working with Sarissa in Mapbuilder that
there were similar issues.

> Instead of addressing this in Protocol.HTTP, I'm wondering if we can fix
> it in Request.
>
> Please try out the latest patch on the ticket to see if this approach works.

This patch makes perfect sense (much more than mine) and it works. But
I think it will break synchronous requests (see my ticket comment). I
attached a new patch which does the setTimeout() thing only for
asynchronous requests.

Regards,
Andreas.

--