[OpenLayers-Dev] OpenLayers and the OGC?

Roald de Wit roald.dewit at lisasoft.com
Wed Nov 4 16:43:17 EST 2009

Hi,

Christopher Schmidt wrote:
> OpenLayers has been a key part of several testbed efforts, but all made
> by individual companies. (I'm pretty sure that LISAsoft used OL for testbed
> work at least once, possibly twice.)

That's correct. LISAsoft contributed KML styling support to OL for an
OGC testbed (OWS 5.1) for example. And as part of the CGDI Pilot [1] we
implemented (and contributed back) GeoRSS support in OpenLayers.

> I personally have no particular desire to get more deeply involved with OGC,
> but have no problem with others pushing in that direction.

It requires a fair bit of effort (and money) to participate in these
testbeds and will not be easy for the community as such to do. As an
organisation that wants to participate, it pays to keep an eye on what
testbeds become available and put in your bid to do your bit!
Only a week ago OGC announced their CFP for OWS-7 [2] (closing date: 1
December 2009).

[1] http://www.opengeospatial.org/pub/www/cgdi/index.html
[2] http://www.opengeospatial.org/standards/requests/60

Regards, Roald