[OpenLayers-Dev] OpenLayers and the OGC?

Cameron Shorter cameron.shorter at lisasoft.com
Wed Nov 4 18:04:35 EST 2009

I used Openlayers (and Mapbuilder) code for OGC testbeds before working
at LISAsoft.
In particular, I developed a GML rendering client which part funded the
development of vector rendering in both applications, and was a major
step between the migration of some of the Mapbuilder functionality to
OpenLayers. (Of note, I shared the vector rendering development with
others, notably Camp2Camp who were also working on the functionality
too, and the vector rendering was moved from a branch back into trunk by
others after the testbed).

Re OGC:
To date, I'm unaware of an OGC reference implementation for a client.
The OGC focuses its testing mainly on services (which are much easier to
write tests for).
I also think that a browser based client is not appropriate for a
reference implementation because the platform the browser runs on is so
dynamic. (How many different browser/operating system combinations are
there?)
A desktop client would be more appropriate for a reference implementation.

However, there is a need for clients for OGC services, and the OGC does
part fund the development of these during testbeds, as we at LISAsoft
can attest to. So yes, go ahead and propose OpenLayers as part of a
solution for the next testbed.