[OpenLayers-Dev] tinyows and OL WFS Filters using PropertyIsLike

Tim Schaub tschaub at opengeo.org
Thu Oct 8 12:14:58 EDT 2009

Paul Spencer wrote:
> I have discovered that in the tinyows schema, it has escape for v1 and
> escapeChar for v1_1_0 so I am going to go ahead and prepare a patch
> based on option 2 below by adding PropertyIsLike to the v1_1_0 code.
> If this ends up being wrong, we can discuss it in the ticket that I
> will create for the patch.

Glancing at the Filter Encoding specs (1.0.0 and 1.1.0) it looks like
there are some typos in the 1.0.0 docs.  The prose mentions escapeChar
but the examples use escape.  When I've pointed out discrepancies like
this before, I've been told the schema is the final word.

http://schemas.opengis.net/filter/1.0.0/filter.xsd
http://schemas.opengis.net/filter/1.1.0/filter.xsd

So it is "escape" in 1.0.0 and "escapeChar" in 1.1.0.  This should be
patched in the filter formats.

Tim

> Cheers
>
> Paul
>
> On 2009-10-06, at 5:21 PM, Paul Spencer wrote:
>
>> Hey WFS gurus ... I am using OL with a WFS layer against tinyows with
>> a layer filter using PropertyIsLike and tinyows is coughing up a lung
>> because the filter is not passing schema validation.  Looking into
>> this further, it seems that tinyows' schema is expecting an attribute
>> called escapeChar but OL is passing an attribute called escape.  I've
>> made it work by hacking OpenLayers.Format.Filter.v1 writers to put
>> escapeChar in the output but I am wondering what the right fix is:
>>
>> 1) is escapeChar the right attribute name in v1, in which case both
>> the reader and writer for PropertyIsLike should be changed?
>>
>> 2) is escape the right attribute in v1 and escapeChar in v1_1_0, in
>> which case the reader and writer needs overrides for PropertyIsLike in
>> v1_1_0?
>>
>> 3) is escape the right attribute in both versions and tinyows is
>> wrong?
>>
>> If there is a change needed in OpenLayers, I'll do the patch if
>> someone tells me what the right answer is :)
>>
>> Cheers
>>
>> Paul

Tim Schaub
OpenGeo - http://opengeo.org