[OpenLayers-Dev] Problem loading layers

Robert Sanson SansonR at asurequality.com
Wed Jan 20 21:09:10 EST 2010

70+ layers seems a lot to load. Do you need all of them at  the same time? I would suggest grouping them. For instance in one of my applications I load land parcels + roads + address points as a single layer - in my case they are never edited, so I request them as a single WMS call to Mapserver.

You might be able to set up some buttons on your page, that load / unload groups of layers using OL's javascript functions such as map.addLayer() and layerRef.destroy()

Regards,

Robert

>>> jtcrash <jacob_trainer at hotmail.com> 21/01/2010 2:13 p.m. >>>

Hi all,

   I am trying to load 70+ vector layers into OL and it seems to take a long
while even without any data being inserted into these layers. It takes
roughly 9 seconds to load the 70+ layers. Is this normal? Is there a better
way to do this as I am at a loss. In chrome everything seems to load
quickly, but in firefox there is a considerable lag time, it also seems to
force the browser not to respond for 3 or 4 seconds. of course IE is just
terrible and never worked well there. I am also adding a large number of
features across these layers, it seems the more and more i look at it the
answer seems to be a feature sever, is this wise? will this load 1500 points
into these 70+ layers more easily?

Thanks,
Jake

The contents of this email are confidential to AsureQuality. If you have received this communication in error please notify the sender immediately and delete the message and any attachments. The opinions expressed in this email are not necessarily those of AsureQuality. This message has been scanned for known viruses before delivery. AsureQuality supports the Unsolicited Electronic Messages Act 2007. If you do not wish to receive similar communications in future, please notify the sender of this message.