[OpenLayers-Dev] central repo for v3

Tim Schaub tschaub at opengeo.org
Tue Jul 6 15:23:51 EDT 2010

On 7/5/10 4:23 PM, Peter Robins wrote:
> On 1 July 2010 05:20, Tim Schaub<tschaub at opengeo.org>  wrote:
>> Until we settle on a process, you should also open a ticket
>> (http://github.com/openlayers/openlayers/issues *) and describe your
>> changes.  This may end up being easier to deal with than pull requests.
>
> I've just sent a pull request for a couple of very minor textual
> changes. I can create a ticket as well if you like, but it seems like
> overkill to me for this sort of thing - they're not 'issues' and nor
> do they need tracking.

Thanks for these changes Peter.  This is a great example of a valuable
contribution made with little effort (assuming we all count the effort
of learning git as a sunk cost).  Thanks also to whomever pulled in the
changes.

Obviously, pull requests can quickly get harder to manage than tickets
(which can be queried more formally), but I agree that during the push
toward 3.0 we should lower the bar to contribution as much as possible.
  Don't feel like you have to open a ticket.  If you see something slip
through the cracks, a ticket might be in order.

Another nice feature is the ability to comment on changes.  If someone
issues a pull request and another developer is confused about it or
disagrees with some part of it, the commit can be commented on directly:

http://github.com/probins/openlayers/commit/5c5650b23806db00e0a6fb0d4016ae1141e05825

As we discussed before, we'll need to settle on a process that makes
contributions and reviews as easy as possible - without overwhelming
ourselves.  For now, I think it makes sense to try all the tools at our
disposal.

> It's perhaps also worth pointing out that github has an editor which
> can be used for these minor changes that don't need testing. You just
> need to make a fork, edit the file(s) as appropriate, and then issue
> the pull request. No need to set up a local clone.
> I'm thinking perhaps I could set up a page on the github wiki to this effect?

Yeah, I think this is a nice feature as well.  If you have permission (I
haven't tried) please edit the wiki.  As with everything else, we'll
have to figure out how folks manage spam here.

Thanks for the contributions.

Tim

Tim Schaub
OpenGeo - http://opengeo.org