[OpenLayers-Dev] "allow pan while drawing" patch

Eric Lemoine eric.lemoine at camptocamp.com
Wed Jan 12 07:05:27 EST 2011

Hello

Currently the map cannot be panned when a draw feature control is
active. Google Maps allows it, and I think it would be great that
OpenLayers allow it as well.

I've started prototyping this in a sandbox. It currently it works for
"draw point" and "draw line" only (and it breaks the freehand mode).
See [1] and [2] for examples.

With my patch points are added on mouseup as opposed to mousedown, so
the drawing user experience is changed a bit. Also, although my patch
makes this somehow configurable (through stopDown stopUp options), I
think "allow pan while drawing" should be the default.

What do you think about it? Would such a patch make sense for
inclusion into the trunk?

Thanks for any feedback,

[1] <http://dev.openlayers.org/sandbox/elemoine/draw-feature/examples/draw-feature.html>
[2] <http://dev.openlayers.org/sandbox/elemoine/draw-feature/examples/measure.html>