[OpenLayers-Dev] Github or Trac?

Peter Robins openlayers at peterrobins.co.uk
Wed May 23 07:00:03 EDT 2012

On 23 May 2012 09:52, Bart van den Eijnden <bartvde at opengeo.org> wrote:
> Also, one thing I'd like to discuss for the future is if we have plans to
> migrate the Trac Wiki to the github Wiki. I would be in favor of this.

the same point you made before about many of the tickets being
out-of-date also applies to the wiki. As with tickets, I would suggest
starting again.

Some other suggestions:

- use github pages (openlayers.github.com) rather than wiki. Wiki has
advantage that anyone can edit at any time, but that is also a
disadvantage, as there's no opportunity for others to discuss proposed
changes. With Github pages, you would submit pull requests as with
code changes, which enables discussion (though it does add to the
workload of core developers). An additional advantage is that you can
include any css/js with github pages that you can't with wiki.

- merge what is currently in docs.openlayers.org with this new wiki
replacement. I don't see the advantage of having this in a separate
place, generated by entirely different software, as at present.

- make it a rule that pull requests for code changes should also
include updates to docs where relevant

- set up a separate repo for v3, and use the issue tracker there for
discussion of proposed new/changed/improved functionality - i.e.
separate out issues that won't be addressed in v2. In fact, if there's
a serious intention to get moving with v3, it might be better to
concentrate documentation effort on that rather than v2.

I too can help out with docs content.