[OpenLayers-Users] problems with the overview map

Tim Schaub noreply at geocartic.com
Thu Feb 15 11:11:46 EST 2007

Lars Schrader wrote:
> One another problem: Is at right, that the layer for the overview map must be
> a base layer?

The map for the overview control is just the same as any other map - so
you can add whatever layers you choose.  Just construct the control with
  options like:

var options = {mapOptions: {layers: [layer0, layer1, layer2]}};

Note that these layers should be constructed specifically for the
overview map (and not already added to the main map).  You can clone
layers already added to the main map before adding them to the overview
map (this is done by default for the main map's base layer if you don't
pass the overview map any layers at all).

Also, if you want to do things with your overview map after you have
added the control, just assign it to some variable that you can later
access:

var ov = new OpenLayers.Control.OverviewMap(options);
// now you can get the control's map with ov.ovmap

Tim