[OpenLayers-Users] Problem with WMS.Untiled?

Jon Blower jdb at mail.nerc-essc.ac.uk
Fri Mar 2 11:42:16 EST 2007

Hi,

Oops, didn't notice that the URL I was using was for a TileCached
layer, sorry.  And Christopher - you were right, I was requesting an
image that was too big for my WMS because of the ratio setting.  It
all works fine now and the funny bug with clicking on the map is also
fixed.  Great work as usual!

Jon

On 3/2/07, Christopher Schmidt <crschmidt at metacarta.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 02, 2007 at 03:32:21PM +0000, Jon Blower wrote:
> > Dear all,
> >
> > I've just upgraded to OpenLayers 2.3 (from 2.1) and I've noticed that
> > I can't seem to get a WMS.Untiled layer to display - it just comes up
> > blank (or perhaps the URL is constructed wrongly).  In OL2.1 there was
> > a problem with click events on the Untiled layer, but now I can't see
> > any Untiled layers.
>
> If you are using MapServer, and your map display is wide, you may be
> running into a problem with the image size being larger than the 2048 px
> that MapServer will render an image by default. To change the Untiled
> layer to *not* double the buffer:
>
> """
> To obtain the behavior of 2.1 in 2.2RC1, you must pass an option of
>
>     'ratio': 1
>
> to the WMS Untiled constructor. This was to correct bad behavior on the
> part of the Untiled layer, where the slightest, 1 pixel movement would
> cause the entire map to reload, a significant user interaction problem.
> """
>
> -- http://trac.openlayers.org/ticket/364
>
> I thought I had better documented this, but apparently I haven't. I'm
> sorry for the confusion.
>
> > e.g.:
> >
> > var human_wms = new OpenLayers.Layer.WMS.Untiled( "Human Footprint",
> >         "http://labs.metacarta.com/wms-c/Basic.py?", {layers: 'hfoot' } );
> >
> > This works fine as a straight OpenLayers.Layer.WMS.
>
> This is a TileCache Layer. TileCache layers won't work with WMS Untiled.
>
> --
> Christopher Schmidt
> MetaCarta

Dr Jon Blower              Tel: +44 118 378 5213 (direct line)
Technical Director         Tel: +44 118 378 8741 (ESSC)
Reading e-Science Centre   Fax: +44 118 378 6413
ESSC                       Email: jdb at mail.nerc-essc.ac.uk
University of Reading
3 Earley Gate
Reading RG6 6AL, UK