[OpenLayers-Users] Mapping Your Data: Styling and Serving Free Data with Free Tools

Christopher Schmidt crschmidt at metacarta.com
Sun Mar 18 16:11:42 EDT 2007

I've put together a 4 minute video on how to download GIS data, style it
using QGIS, save a mapfile for MapServer, and configure that MapServer
layer in OpenLayers.

  http://openlayers.org/presentations/mappingyourdata/
  (requires Flash)

The presentation assumes installation of MapServer, and doesn't cover
it. The wiki page used in the presentation is available at
http://trac.openlayers.org/wiki/MappingYourData

If you have GIS data you'd like to serve via OpenLayers, this might be a
way for you to get started.

(I did use a non-free text editor, but that was just because the text
editor I usually use doesn't translate well to video. vim tends to be
scary ;))

Questions, comments, suggestions welcome.

Christopher Schmidt
MetaCarta