[OpenLayers-Users] error in resolution index from tilecache/geoserver

Christopher Schmidt crschmidt at metacarta.com
Mon Nov 26 00:08:34 EST 2007

On Sun, Nov 25, 2007 at 10:19:07PM -0600, Lance Dyas wrote:
> This is a very hands on issue... with TileCache and it is what I would
> say quite fragile.  not nearly as plug and play as its advertised..

Advertised where?

> you would expect the extents as advertised by the WMS in question
> should be sufficient..

OpenLayers doesn't talk to the server, because OpenLayers can't talk to
the server in most cases. (See
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Same_origin_policy .)

> and the default maxResolution ought to be something which just
> works...

The default OpenLayers maxResolution is 1.40625. The default TileCache
max resolution is bbox/512. One will adjust automatically to different
max extents, the other will not. The README explains that you need to
make these things match.

> the openlayers code is very closely tied to the tilecache config file

Other way around.

> which sort of feels like ... NOT separating a client thing and a
> server thing

... huh? In order to use OpenLayers as a WMS-C client, you need to
configure it to act as a WMS-C client.

Patches to improve any part of this process are welcome.

Christopher Schmidt
MetaCarta