[OpenLayers-Users] Local File System Layer?

Kurt D. Bollacker kurt at longnow.org
Sat May 3 21:55:37 EDT 2008

I've got an unusual use for OpenLayers. I'm trying to create an image
browser for a very large image-- 648000 by 648000 pixels to be exact.
This image will be the "rosetta disk" that we are creating.  See
http://www.rosettaproject.org to check out our project.

My first attempt was to hack the app at:

http://www.casa.ucl.ac.uk/software/googlemapimagecutter.asp

I created a bunch of image tiles at various resolutions and then was
able to Use the Google Maps API to create the browser I needed, EXCEPT
that the local javascript calls google.com for support functions.  So
even though the HTML and javascript are local and the tiles are all
local, I still need internet access to view the image.

OpenLayers was suggested as a replacement.  What I'd like to do is
build an image viewer than can run totally locally without more than a
web browser (no HTTP).  I was hoping there'd be a
OpenLayers.Layer.LocalFileSystem class that I could use directly.  I
can easily slice and dice my tiles to be any size and resolution, and
I'm willing to bring in additional javascript libraries.

So what should I do?  Am I missing something obvious? Should I try to
subclass OpenLayers.Layer to use the local file sytem?  Any
suggestions or pointers are greatly appreciated.

Thanks..

								Kurt :-)