[OpenLayers-Users] Local File System Layer?

Eric Lemoine eric.c2c at gmail.com
Sun May 4 08:14:40 EDT 2008

On Sun, May 4, 2008 at 3:55 AM, Kurt D. Bollacker <kurt at longnow.org> wrote:

>  I've got an unusual use for OpenLayers. I'm trying to create an image
>  browser for a very large image-- 648000 by 648000 pixels to be exact.
>  This image will be the "rosetta disk" that we are creating.  See
>  http://www.rosettaproject.org to check out our project.
>
>  My first attempt was to hack the app at:
>
>  http://www.casa.ucl.ac.uk/software/googlemapimagecutter.asp
>
>  I created a bunch of image tiles at various resolutions and then was
>  able to Use the Google Maps API to create the browser I needed, EXCEPT
>  that the local javascript calls google.com for support functions.  So
>  even though the HTML and javascript are local and the tiles are all
>  local, I still need internet access to view the image.
>
>  OpenLayers was suggested as a replacement.  What I'd like to do is
>  build an image viewer than can run totally locally without more than a
>  web browser (no HTTP).  I was hoping there'd be a
>  OpenLayers.Layer.LocalFileSystem class that I could use directly.  I
>  can easily slice and dice my tiles to be any size and resolution, and
>  I'm willing to bring in additional javascript libraries.
>
>  So what should I do?  Am I missing something obvious? Should I try to
>  subclass OpenLayers.Layer to use the local file sytem?  Any
>  suggestions or pointers are greatly appreciated.
>
>  Thanks..
>
>                                                                 Kurt :-)

Hi

FireFox can read local files using the file protocol (file://), I'm
not sure about other browsers. So with FireFox and Layer.TileCache or
Layer.TMS you can probably meet your goal. FWIW, gdal has a utility
command to generate a directory woth TMS tiles. See
<http://www.isere.equipement.gouv.fr/article.php3?id_article=6>.
TileCache also has such a utility, namely tilecache_seed.py.

Hope this helps,
--
Eric