[OpenLayers-Users] Disable Vector Layer Mouseover--Spinning CPU

Matthew Williamson matthewdw at gmail.com
Fri May 9 13:05:33 EDT 2008

Hello list,

I've got a map that uses a GML vector layer (loaded with about 8 polygons
from a GML file) and a SelectFeature control. The problem I'm having is that
just moving the mouse over the layer when it is visible--whether the
SelectFeature control is active or not--hogs the CPU on Firefox 2 in Windows
to the point of making the map unusable. This is on a Core 2 Duo system, so
I don't think it's normal...it's also not so bad in FF3b5 on Linux on a
lesser machine.

I don't care about mouseover/mouseout/mousemove events because I'm using
click to select in the control (hover = false)...so is there a way to simply
disable the mousemove and in/out detection for the layer? I presume this is
what is causing the problem, because even with the layer visible if I move
the mouse around the outside of the feature set there's no problem--but if
I'm mousing over the polygons it bogs down.

Thanks for any help!

-Matt