[OpenLayers-Users] mapfish - openlayers - extjs - jquery usage problems

Christopher Schmidt crschmidt at metacarta.com
Wed Mar 11 13:09:26 EDT 2009

On Wed, Mar 11, 2009 at 05:46:21PM +0100, Fabio D'Ovidio wrote:
> 3) I initialize my map and send it the string 'map' as the first
> argument
> 4) OpenLayers tries to place your map in the DOM element $('map'), but
> because $() is still a jQuery function that doesn't return a DOM element,
> and I get the error about appendChild not being defined!

No, it does not. No part of the OpenLayers library uses the $ function;
it si provided in Util.js solely for backwards compatibility with
applications. You can use OpenLayers.Util.getElement to achieve the same
thing, or use OL.Map("map").

I don't know what problem you're having, but it is not because OL uses
the "$" function internally.

Christopher Schmidt
MetaCarta