[OpenLayers-Users] GML layer choice for putting photos on a map, clustering?

Greg Troxel gdt at ir.bbn.com
Wed May 13 18:26:41 EDT 2009

(Sorry if this is OT.)

I have a basic openlayers 2.8rc2 install on my server, with
OSM/{mapnik,tah} and OAM.  I have a bunch of geotagged photographs, and
would like to render them on the map.  My needs are pretty simple -
basically I want:

  when there aren't too many photos, a small thumbnail

  click on thumbnail pops up a bigger one, maybe with some text

  when there are too many, some sort of clustering icon instead

I think I want to user the cluster strategy in the examples as
strategy-cluster*, and either georss from flickr example, GML, or KML.
But, it would be a slightly plus, but not much, if I published the
photos as WFS.  I would also like to minimize work.

What GML language do people recommend?  I have a slight bias towards a
truly open specification, so that makes me lean towards atom/georss.

Are there tools I should use, given a directory of images with exif gps
data, and perhaps caption files?  I found

  http://code.google.com/apis/kml/articles/geotagsimple.html
  http://www.geowebguru.com/articles/108-technical-overview-georss

and it seems like a simple perl script to write georss from a directory.

    Thanks,
    Greg