[OpenLayers-Users] SingleTile TMS Layer - Suggestion

Christopher Schmidt crschmidt at metacarta.com
Thu May 14 20:44:23 EDT 2009

On Thu, May 14, 2009 at 05:23:21PM -0700, RFeagin wrote:

> I have been playing around a little bit with the singleTile option and have a
> suggestion for a change.  Unfortuanatly I haven't had the time to dig into
> the code to try making the change or to see how much work it would take.
> But I thought that maybe someone else has already done this or that there
> might be a reason why no one has.
>
> I think it would be better if the bounds used for a singleTile layer were
> the bounds of the loaded tiles in the base layer instead of only the visible
> part of the map.  This way panning a few pixels one way or another wouldn't
> need to refresh the layer and more importantly, we can take more advantage
> of browser caching.

What you're describing sounds vaugely like a 'snap to grid' setting for
singleTile mode. Out of curiousity, why not simply... use tiles, if what
you want is a gridded output which takes advantage of the browser cache?

Also, the 'ratio' parameter allows you to prevent a re-request of tiles
when you only drag 'a few pixels'.

-- Chris

> If someone has already done this, please respond with a link to a patch or
> sample of the code changes. And if this can't be done for some reason or if
> it is a much bigger can of worms than it seems to be, I'd appreciate being
> told that too.
>
> Thanks

Christopher Schmidt
MetaCarta