[OpenLayers-Users] put a message inside map for some zoom levels

Christoph Boehme christoph at b3e.net
Wed May 20 09:56:37 EDT 2009

Luis Ortiz --CompeGPS Team-- wrote:
> We would like to put a message inside the map when is not possible to show tiles
> and user has to zoom in to watch them.
>
> Is a message at top right with a red background only to show when zoom is more
> far than 8th level.
 >
> I saw this in googlemaps but i don't know how to do it in openlayers.

Try the following:

Add a div-element containing your message to your html code and use some
css to position it whereever you want (you probably want to use
position: absolute or fixed for this). Set the display css property of
the div to none.

In your javascript code register an event handler for the zoomend event
on your map object. Within the event handler you can use the getZoom()
method of the map to determine the current zoom level and decide than
change the value of the display property of your div.

For details I recommend you read the documentation on
http://docs.openlayers.org/ and
http://dev.openlayers.org/releases/OpenLayers-2.7/doc/apidocs/files/OpenLayers-js.html

	Cheers,
	Christoph