[OpenLayers-Users] Add Feature and Pan into View

soatley shawn at niagarafalls.ca
Thu May 21 11:01:09 EDT 2009

Hello,

Does anyone know how to have the map pan when adding a feature to a vector
layer so that the entire feature is in view?

Here's my code so far that works:
        //define the popup
        infoPopup = new OpenLayers.Popup.FramedCloud("info",
                                     mouseLoc,
                                     null,
                                     "<div
style=\"padding:5px;font-size:0.8em;\">Loading...</div>",
                                     null, true, onPopupClose);
        map.addPopup(infoPopup);

         //load the url for the popup data
        OpenLayers.loadURL(infoUrl, '', this, showTip);

In the showTip function, I parse the data that is returned, update the
content popup and create a feature.  The feature coordinates (WKT) are
passed with the response.

            var f = new OpenLayers.Format.WKT();
            infoFeature = f.read(marker.find("points").text());
            infoLayer.addFeatures([infoFeature], { style: "default" });
            infoPopup.contentHTML = marker.find("result").text();
            infoPopup.setContentHTML();
            infoFeature.popup = infoPopup;

This code works great.  If the popup is off the screen it pans into view.
Great!  But, how can I do the same if the feature (a parcel) is partially
off the screen?