[OpenLayers-Users] proxy.cgi and OS X Server (solved the hard way)

Christopher Schmidt crschmidt at metacarta.com
Fri May 22 07:17:35 EDT 2009

On Fri, May 22, 2009 at 10:56:27AM +0200, Asle Benoni wrote:
> Hello,
> Just want to share my experience with OpenLayers proxy.cgi on OS X Server.
> It seems no one on this list is using OS X Server. If you search on the list
> you will see my frustrations with problems related to proxy.cgi. I tested
> this on OS X 10.5 client and it seemed to work fine while with OS X 10.5
> Server it was not possible. So I reinstalled the server and downgraded from
> OS X Server to OS X client. Everything works fine now! So the quick answer
> is to forget trying to get it to work on OS X Server. On OS X 10.5 client it
> works just fine. I will not go back to OS X Server to try to solve it since
> I have used far too much time on this issue. Tomcat and MapServer was easy
> to get up running also.

For the record, proxy.cgi is intended only to act as a demonstration of
how to set up a proxy. There are many tools for proxying URLs -- from
the built in mod_proxy in Apache, to numerous other tools available by
searching on Google. The reason that you will likely receive limited
support is that this is *not* something specific to OpenLayers, but
instead something in wider use throughout the Javascript -- and "AJAX"
(I hate that term) community.

I recommend broadening your horizons beyond OpenLayers if you are
interested in solving this problem.

(Without OS X Server to try, I have no interest in remote debugging
software that's only tangentinally OpenLayers related.)

Best Regards,
--
Christopher Schmidt
MetaCarta