[OpenLayers-Users] Comparision between MapServer/OpenLayers and ESRI ArcIMS

Christopher Schmidt crschmidt at metacarta.com
Tue May 26 17:49:57 EDT 2009

On Tue, May 26, 2009 at 02:50:36PM -0600, Bill Thoen wrote:
> I need to make a case for developing a map and data server using Open
> Source software such as MapServer, Open Layers, PostgereSQL/PostGIS to
> counter a proposal to go with ESRI's solutions. The client who this
> would be directed to manages a lot of land parcels on which some
> development is planned. As part of the support for this, the object is
> to build an Internet-accessible server that maintains about 800Gb of
> spatial and tabular data, that can provide interactive maps of the
> properties, data downloads of selected areas and layers in shapefile,
> AutoCAD and other formats. It also needs to generate 3D surfaces from
> dense LiDAR data that's available. It also needs a database cataloging
> system that can be searched for data held in the system. Finally, it
> needs to provide different access privileges to various personnel who
> will be using restricted data sets.
>
> So what I need are some *current* facts about what packages are needed
> to do this completely with ESRI software and what it will cost. Have any
> of you had to address this 800-lb gorilla problem recently and do you
> have any advice or facts I can use to keep my contract?

I'd strongly recommend, if you haven't done this already, sending this
to the osgeo-discuss list -- though I'd frame it less as a "how can I
keep my job" and more as a "Does anyone have any comparisons of this
type?" (List is at http://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/discuss ).

In this type of question, for the record, it seems to me like you'd need
to do a pretty significant amount of custom development. It's possible
that neither ESRI nor open source can do everything you need to do, but
that if you're making a purely "$$" based argument, ESRI could win,
simply becaues ESRI *is* packaged to do more of these things out of the
box without any development effort.

Good luck, and Best Regards,
--
Christopher Schmidt