[OpenLayers-Users] Comparision between MapServer/OpenLayers and ESRI ArcIMS

Bill Thoen bthoen at gisnet.com
Tue May 26 16:50:36 EDT 2009

I need to make a case for developing a map and data server using Open
Source software such as MapServer, Open Layers, PostgereSQL/PostGIS to
counter a proposal to go with ESRI's solutions. The client who this
would be directed to manages a lot of land parcels on which some
development is planned. As part of the support for this, the object is
to build an Internet-accessible server that maintains about 800Gb of
spatial and tabular data, that can provide interactive maps of the
properties, data downloads of selected areas and layers in shapefile,
AutoCAD and other formats. It also needs to generate 3D surfaces from
dense LiDAR data that's available. It also needs a database cataloging
system that can be searched for data held in the system. Finally, it
needs to provide different access privileges to various personnel who
will be using restricted data sets.

So what I need are some *current* facts about what packages are needed
to do this completely with ESRI software and what it will cost. Have any
of you had to address this 800-lb gorilla problem recently and do you
have any advice or facts I can use to keep my contract? I have to
present my case to people who don't know much about GIS so I think price
is going to be my best argument. So far, all I've been able to ascertain
is that an Internet license for ArcIMS costs about $9 - $10K per dual
core machine. Is that true? And don't you also need ArcSDE for the
database connection, and some Arc3D for surface generation from LiDAR
and copies of ArcGIS all around, and is data downloading even available
through ArcIMS? What functionality comes "out-of-the-box" with ESRI's
tools that meets what I've listed above? Is there something in the ESRI
stable that can maintain differential, password-protected user access?
How much would still have to be developed? And what about training and
staff to maintain the system? What's that cost?

If anyone has answers to any of these questions I'd be grateful if you
could give me some facts. As it stands I can put those questions out for
consideration, but I'd like to know the answers too.

Thanks,
- Bill Thoen