[OpenLayers-Users] Geocoding

Stephen Woodbridge woodbri at swoodbridge.com
Fri Oct 16 14:00:12 EDT 2009

Paul,

Thank you for the iMaptools plug :)

Paul Spencer wrote:
> I've used a couple:
>
> * http://geocoder.us - based on US Tiger/Line, for fee service or you
> can get the source and build your own
>
> * http://imaptools.com/geocode-us.html - based on US Tiger/Line, buy a
> license
>
> We are using navteq street data now for our maps and geocodes against
> Tiger/Line don't align well so we currently have a home-grown solution
> using imaptools address parser and our own postgis database.
>
> There is some indication that PAGC (http://www.pagcgeo.org/) will
> become more generic, supporting multiple back ends and datasets in a
> cleaner way.  I would probably go with PAGC if that happened.

I have been working to define some changes to PAGC that we hope will
make it much more accessible in terms of datastores and the ability to
load North America sized datasets. It currently can only load a single
shapefile of data which limits you to a few states or all of Canada. We
want to be able to load all of Tiger for the US, or all of Navteq for US
and Canada. Down the road we want to look at extending it to better
support address parsing in other Latin language countries. PAGC has the
right underlying technology and we are excited by the possibility of
refactoring it to achieve these changes.

Sorry for being OT. Contact me off list if you want more information.

Best regards,
   -Stephen Woodbridge
    http://imaptools.com/