[OpenLayers-Users] Optimal tile size for tilecache

Adrian Popa adrian_gh.popa at romtelecom.ro
Mon Oct 19 07:30:44 EDT 2009

Hello everyone,

Just wondering - what would be a good tile size to be used for
tilecache, so that the client will not do a lot of queries to the server
(seems they take quite a while), and at the same time would not load too
much information that is not used (areas of tiles which are outside the
viewable area).

My web clients use screen resolutions starting from 1200x1024 (and
usually run the page in full screen).
Right now I have tiles of 256x256 - which seem rather small and take
some time to load.

What tile sizes do you use?

Thanks,

Adrian