[OpenLayers-Users] Optimal tile size for tilecache

Christopher Schmidt crschmidt at metacarta.com
Mon Oct 19 10:38:48 EDT 2009

On Mon, Oct 19, 2009 at 02:30:44PM +0300, Adrian Popa wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> Just wondering - what would be a good tile size to be used for
> tilecache, so that the client will not do a lot of queries to the server
> (seems they take quite a while), and at the same time would not load too
> much information that is not used (areas of tiles which are outside the
> viewable area).
>
> My web clients use screen resolutions starting from 1200x1024 (and
> usually run the page in full screen).
> Right now I have tiles of 256x256 - which seem rather small and take
> some time to load.

I would try to understand why they take some time to load. Are you using
CGI mode? (Don't.) Are you not-precaching as much as you should? Are you
using metatiles? Are you not using metatiles? etc.

Also, some description of 'some time' -- hundreds of milliseconds, seconds,
dozens of seconds -- would probably also be appropriate.

> What tile sizes do you use?

256x256. And so does Google Maps, which was doing this before most of us,
and probably has a decent idea on how to make things work pretty well.

-- Chris

> Thanks,
>
> Adrian

Christopher Schmidt