[OpenLayers-Users] Optimal tile size for tilecache

Adrian Popa adrian_gh.popa at romtelecom.ro
Tue Oct 20 02:43:35 EDT 2009

Hello Christopher,

Thanks for your reply.

I am using cgi  mode (because it's been the easiest to setup). How do
you recommend I run tilecache? I don't want to precache my whole map
because most of the zoom levels (in some areas) don't give much
information. I could precache some zoom levels and let the details be
rendered on the fly, when needed...

I'm not using metatiles (or at least I think I'm not using them)... I
don't really know what metatiles are and what they are supposed to do.
Maybe a point to the right documentation would be ok...

The tile loading process goes like this - when I change my zoom the
center tiles are loaded pretty quickly (even if they haven't been
cached) - in about half a second, but the edges of my image take about
~5 seconds to load. I thought it might be a limitation of my browser -
on how many connections it can keep - so I added a lot of connections
(20 per server) both on my browser and my web server (20 processes
listening). The speed limitation is visible even when the tiles (for
that area) have been cached. I thought that by increasing the tile size
the browser would make fewer requests and the page would maybe load
faster...

Thanks,
Adrian