[OpenLayers-Users] Line drawing for mobile browsers (non SVG)

Christopher Schmidt crschmidt at metacarta.com
Mon Oct 26 12:46:43 EDT 2009

On Mon, Oct 26, 2009 at 06:06:24AM -0700, billChadwick wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm looking at doing a mobile route viewer for my Where's The Path app
> http://wtp2.appspot.com/wheresthepath.htm
>
> I have a prototype here http://wtp2.appspot.com/mobile/mobile.htm.
>
> Route plotting really needs line drawing. However on Windows Mobile, only
> Fennec
> supports SVG, Opera Mobile 9.7 does not (forget MSIE).

I'm very surprised to hear this; In fact, Opera Mobile 9.7 claims:

"New rendering engine: Opera Mobile 9.7 uses our Opera Presto 2.2 rendering
engine, which gives improved speed, 100/100 on the Acid 3 test, and many new
standards support improvements, as you'll see below"

Acid3 requires SVG support; not just a small amount either, but a fair amount
of animation and other support. So I think that to state Oper Mobile 9.7
does not would be odd.

MSIE seems to love VML Everywhere; OpenLayers has support for VML in IE,
when it has VML support; have you checked if your MSIE supports VML?

In general, we try to make it so that we work on anything that we might
possibly be able to work on; it seems like two of the three you mentioned
can do SVG, and one may be able to do VML. Are you sure that the vector
drawing doesn't already work?

-- Chris

>  I'm not sure about
> the iPhone or Android browsers.
>
> A few years ago I made this demo for Google Maps
>
> http://groups.google.com/group/google-maps-api/browse_thread/thread/3ef83bc6faf108c3/543178e4908f08b9?q=#543178e4908f08b9
>
> I'm considering porting this to OpenLayers. Before I do, does anyone have an
> opinion as to whether it would work enough to draw a few lines on a mobile
> browser ?

Christopher Schmidt
MetaCarta