[OpenLayers-Users] Line drawing for mobile browsers (non SVG)

Christopher Schmidt crschmidt at metacarta.com
Mon Oct 26 14:56:38 EDT 2009

On Mon, Oct 26, 2009 at 09:54:03AM -0700, MilesTogoe wrote:
> On 10/26/2009 09:02 AM, billChadwick wrote:
>> I guess it might be best to implement a 'plain divs' renderer for
>> OpenLayers.Layer.Vector with support for limited (straight line only)
>> geometries. Anyone tried this before ?
>>
> The one thing that holds us back from using Open Layers is that it
> doesn't use SVG or Canvas syntax for vector drawing - the last thing we
> want to use is another set of drawing commands.

There are *no* drawing commands in OpenLayers, so I'm not sure exactly
what you're saying. You're creating a set of geometries and adding
them to a layer, not drawing objects.

>   I realize this was
> done originally for the whole SVG/VML thing

No, it wasn't. Even if we only supported SVG, I wouldn't change our
vector layer implementation at all.

(It is possible that our 'renderer' would be simpler; possible, but not
likely. OpenLayers is a geographic data management interface, not a
LOGO program.)

> btw we're doing our drawing with
> Canvas (we like SVG but Gecko's implementation is not that great: slow
> and no inline <svg> tag without xml file type)

Er, the latter is untrue. I use SVG (via OpenLayers) in non-XML filetypes
all the time.

Christopher Schmidt
MetaCarta