[OpenLayers-Users] Working with Openlayers.Layer.Vector and WFS

Eduardo Ramos eduardo.j.ramos at novabase.pt
Fri Jul 16 09:51:07 EDT 2010

Hello

I'm having a real hard time changing my OpenLayers.Layer.WFS request to the
OpenLayers.Layer.Vector with OpenLayers.Protocol.WFS. I've been reading and
experimenting all available examples that I was able to find and the API
documentation (wich, by the way, didn't help very much) for 2 days now and
couldn't get it to work.

So, please, can someone tell why this old fashion request has a successfull
response:

var wfs = new OpenLayers.Layer.WFS("Guybrush Threepwood",

"http://localhost:2006/GetFeature.ashx",
                                            { typename: "miwfs:MonkeyIsland"
                                            }, { 'projection': new
OpenLayers.Projection("EPSG:4326")
                                             , 'displayProjection': new
OpenLayers.Projection("EPSG:4326")
                                             , 'maxExtent': new
OpenLayers.Bounds(-9.517034, 36.961718, -6.189968, 42.15434)
                                             , 'maxResolution': 156543.0339
                                             , 'numZoomLevels': 21
                                             , 'minZoomLevel': 1
                                             , 'maxZoomLevel': 21
                                             , 'units': "dd"
                                             , 'encodeBBOX': true
                                             , 'displayOutsideMaxExtent':
true
                                             , 'styleMap': layerStyle
                                             , 'extractAttributes': true
                                            }
                                            );

map.addLayer(wfs);

But this one, that I found somewhere in the examples or forums, doesn't:

var layer = new OpenLayers.Layer.Vector("Guybrush Threepwood", {
                strategies: [new OpenLayers.Strategy.BBOX()],
                protocol: new OpenLayers.Protocol.WFS({
                    version: "1.1.0",
                    url: "http://localhost:2006/GetFeature.ashx",
                    featureType: "miwfs:MonkeyIsland",
                    featureNS: "http://www.mapinfo.com/wfs",
                    geometryName: "VL_GMTR",
                    srsName: "EPSG:4326"
                }),
                projection: new OpenLayers.Projection("EPSG:4326")
            });

map.addLayer(wfs);

If helps, my map object is:

var map = new OpenLayers.Map("map", {
        projection: new OpenLayers.Projection("EPSG:900913"),
        units: "m",
        maxResolution: 156543.0339,
        maxExtent: new OpenLayers.Bounds(-20037508.34, -20037508.34,
20037508.34, 20037508.34),
        numZoomLevels: 21
    });

and my baseMap is:

var myBaseLayer = new OpenLayers.Layer.Google("Google",
              { 'sphericalMercator': true
              , 'numZoomLevels': 21
              , 'minZoomLevel': 1
              , 'maxZoomLevel': 21