[OpenLayers-Users] Tile Cache

Cédric MOULLET cedric.moullet at gmail.com
Sat Jul 17 00:55:10 EDT 2010

Hi,
The big advantage of tiling technologies is that you avoid data extraction
and rendering on the server side. This implies less server load and higher
performance. Disadvantages are that the tiles need to be pregenerated and
style is predefined. You can find more information here:
http://www.slideshare.net/cedricmoullet/tiling-state-of-the-art-2010
For the site http://map.geo.admin.ch/?lang=en, tiles have been generated for
about 50 layers. TileCache has been used and we didn't encounter any huge
problems with it (about 200 millions tiles generated).
Since WMTS is now a standard OGC implementation standard, I would consider
using it. Comparing to a TileCache tile structure, WMTS tile structure can
be seen as an URL redirection. And OpenLayers supports this new standard.
For example: http://map.geo.admin.ch/wmts.html
Hope this helps,
Cédric

Welcome to my world: http://www.cedricmoullet.com/