[OpenLayers-Users] How to perform spatial search

Jehanzeb Orakzai jehanzeb_orakzai at yahoo.com
Sun Jul 18 05:43:03 EDT 2010

Hi,
I am using OpenLayers for web mapping, GeoServer to serve maps as WMS and WFS & PostgreSql/PostGIS for database having spatial and non-spatial data.
I have cities & school data as point in their respective tables in the database which are publish through GeoServer. School table is linked with cities using cityID.
I want to develop a form that contains cities as text box and school as dropdown loaded from the database, so that a user can perform search on it and the map is zoomed to that particular area with non-spatial information display in a separate grid.
I don’t know how to load the data in the combo box / dropdown from the DB using the above software stack and perform some searching. How to zoom to a particular location based on the criteria and display non-spatial data in grid.
I need some guidelines or examples for the problem stated above.
Can somebody help me in achieving this?
Any help is appreciated.

Thank you,
--