[OpenLayers-Users] Online spatial analysis

George Matt georgematt99 at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Jul 29 05:50:21 EDT 2010

Hi,

I am developing a web based GIS application. Following tools are used in the
development:

(1) PostGIS database that contain the exported shape file data (i.e Geometry and
attribute data) in table form
(2) GeoServer to publish maps and layers as WMS and WFS services
(3) OpenLayers for mapping
(4) Java (JSP) for Server side scripting.

I want to perform online spatial analysis and show it on the map.

(1) Suppose I enter a buffer zone in a textbox, now I want to see how many parks
are inside that buffer zone near my house. The parks inside the buffer zone
should be highlighted.

(2) As there can be different types of parks, like national park, muncipal park,
etc. How to highlight that area having only national parks.

The data of parks and houses are stored in the postgresql/postgis database as
point features.

How to implement it using OpenLayers, GeoServer, PostGIS and if required Server
side technology like PHP or Java can also be used.

It will be apprecited if some examples are posted or links are provided related
to the stated problem.

Thanks,
--
Matt